Monday, July 9, 2007

Holiday Memories

We're supposed to be talking here about our worst holiday memories, and I wish I had some bad memories, because that would mean I've taken memorable vacations. LOL Unfortunately, I haven't.

When I was a kid, our family "vacations" consisted of 2 weeks at the first part of August spent with family in West Virginia for our family reunion. Lots of happy memories there. When I was in college, my "vacations" were going home to eat Mom's cooking. Happy memories there. Once I was out of college, for many years I made about $5.50 an hour, so... no money for vacations. When I took time off work, it was to rest and relax at home. My sister won a free trip for 2 to the Bahamas through Mary Kay once--that was fun, too. A free vacation that put me in the hole--back then, I couldn't even afford free. *G*

Before I moved to Arizona, we started coming out here to spend time with my brother and his family. Did the touristy thing, and nothing really awful happened. I *was* a bit disappointed with my one and only visit to a ghost town. We drove through Dos Cabezos and my brother pointed to a pile of mud adobe and said, "There it is." (I was expecting something more... more.) So, that was disappointing, but not horrible.

My problem is, I've never been anywhere. My vacation time this year was spent... hmm, going home to eat Mom's cooking. LOL I have one more week coming, and the plan is that she and my sister are coming out here to, er, eat my cooking.

I'm thinking my friend S and I need to get back up to Sedona one of these days. We'll probably call it a "working vacation" and plot a book or two, but it's mostly spent staring at the red rock and wishing we could afford to live up there. (Because then, at least, that would mean I could afford to really vacation somewhere...)

One day I hope to take several weeks to visit the UK (England, Scotland and Ireland, specifically), and maybe the Isles of Scilly, since I have a (hope-to-be-published) book set there. I'd also like to go to Australia. I have a friend who lived there up until about a year ago (she grew up in England and moved to Oz when she was 13), so if I drag her along I'll have a built-in tour guide.

Anyone have any suggestions on where I could vacation? Or, at least, steer me away from places where you haven't had the best of times?

4 comments:

Sam said...

Well, I camped in Canada near Niagara Falls - The Falls are simply beautiful. Lots of shopping there, too, of course.
The Colorado mountains are wonderous.
The beaches on the gulf side of Florida, south of Tampa, are great.
Dyersville, Iowa is nice too, and you'd have a local guide at your disposal ;-) lol

Colleen Love said...

Hi Sherrill!
I saw your topic today and just had to drop you a note. I am from the Pacific Northwest, Washington, to be spacific. There is alot of cool stuff to do up here. The San Juan Islands is unforgettable. There are 3 main pods of Orcas that live here and you can attempt to go see them, no guarentees though. We saw them from the beach, so go figure. Very beautiful, quaint little B&B's there also. Loved loved loved it.

If you would like to see a very cool old ghost town that never disappoints, go to Shaniko, Oregon. http://www.ghosttowns.com/states/or/shaniko.html
This is a town my husbands family used to live in, matter of a fact, they still live on the outskirts and farm wheat. It has a wonderfully redone hotel you can stay in. Ive stayed in the room named for my husbands great grandfather.
I know its a ways away from you, but its got alot of cool energy!

Have a Magic Monday!
Colleen Love

Sherrill Quinn said...

LOL Sam. Maybe some day I'll make it back to Iowa. I was in George once... oh, back in 1984 or so I think. I've slept a bit since then, so I honestly don't remember anything of the town.

Hmm. Maybe I *have* had memorable vacations and just don't remember... LOL

Sherrill Quinn said...

Thanks for the suggestions, Colleen. I will say, I had a *very short* vacation in Toronto when my sister and I went with our pastor and his wife to see The Phantom of the Opera. When we got back to the hotel Friday night after having seen the play (which was wonderful), we had notice that a member of the church had passed away. So instead of spending much of Saturday in Toronto, we had to get back on the road right away. We stopped at the Royal Ontario Museum because I'd never seen an Egyptian exhibit and wanted to--only had 20 minutes, got a free pass, sped read all the display tags, in and out in our 20 minutes... Phew! It was funny. Then and now.