Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Bloodsuckas and sexy shifters



Angel...yum! He graduated from the same acting school I did...though many years earlier so I never got to drool over him in person. And um...

Okay, I have a confession to make. I never watched Buffy or Angel. I didn't even know this guy was Angel until December pointed it out on my blog the other day. I just thought he was a hottie. I missed the whole Buffy phenomenon and all of the early romance/vampire books. Christine Feehan who? Sherrilyn Kenyon what? I was reading historical fiction or plays or memorizing scripts. I picked up my first Feehan at a garage sale on a lark and only got through about 1/3 of it. I mean...all the drama, the bloodsucking I just...didn't get it.

What I did get is that I thought it was material RIPE for spoofage, however. So I wrote a kind of funny vamp romance novel, thinking I was SO very clever. Yeah, I was an idiot who'd never heard of Mary Janice Davidson either. Duh....

Fastforward three years and I've found myself writing quite a few vampire stories, though mostly unintentionally. I never set out to create a brooding dark hero, but I do enjoy a powerful alpha male, and ADORE a character who's had the time to mature and use their heart and mind to become a better, stronger person. The expanded lifetime of a vampire or shapeshifter certainly allows for that.

As for the shifters well...I guess the whole animalistic thing does it for me, lol.

I still haven't read any Feehan or Kenyon (though I'm dying to read her stuff because she seems like such a sweetie in person), but I enjoy some MJD from time to time, as well as the sexy paranormal stories penned by several of the other DNWs.

Hugs!

Anna J. Evans

No comments: