Thursday, June 21, 2007

Who'd ever have thought Christopher Walken could be so sexy?

A normal guy. Just an everyday, hardworking, normal guy. Fundamentally decent. Warm-hearted. Caring. And so blinded by grief he can't even see what's standing in front of him.

When I think "tormented hero", the first character that springs to my mind is Jacob Witting. We see him raising two children alone, battling almost surmountable odds to keep a farm going single-handedly... Nothing extraordinary here, no saving the world, no power, no wealth -- just a farmer trying to survive the loss of his wife and keep himself going for the sake of his children.

How could I not fall completely, totally, and utterly in love? How could Sarah Wheaton not? I don't think there's another movie I've ever seen where I've rooted as hard for the two characters to get together as I have in this movie. Every single time I watch it.

Who's your favorite "Everyman" hero? Not the Darcys or the Rhett Butlers or the Robin Hoods of the world -- just the plain, ordinary guys who completely steal your heart?

2 comments:

Valerie said...

I've always loved Christopher Walken, sounds like a cool film, I've never seen it. One film I really enjoyed and was really heartfelt was *Dear Franki*, a scottish movie with Gerard Butler. All the way through you are just rooting and hooting for the hero and heroine to get together..!!

Valerie
valb0302@yahoo.com

Sierra Dafoe said...

Oh wow, Valerie, you've never seen Sarah, Plain and Tall? Hie thee to a video store, girl -- you're in for a treat!

And I looove Gerlad Butler, but I haven't seen that one! So now I've got a treat to look forward to, too!

-- Sierra

sierradafoe.com