Tuesday, June 12, 2007

What makes a good villian?

This is a hard topic to discuss (especially as it's taken me over three hours to write). As Sherrill talked about yesterday, a weak villain makes a weak story. Even in romance, a villain is needed. Sometimes the villain can be ephemeral, like the hero's or heroine's past that he or she must overcome to in order to have a healthy relationship, or the villain can be a person actively working against the hero and/or heroine's health and happiness. Villains can be likable. I remember the outcry for a romance for Louis Ronsard, the villain from Linda Howard's "All the Queen's Men". A villain who had done so many bad things, Ms. Howard said, to the effect of, "no freaking way!" She had created a character so vital, readers wanted him to be redeemed.

As a reader, I always like sinking my teeth into a good villain. I think it helps when you do see the more non-villainous parts of the villains life because it makes them a more well-rounded character. One of the most chilling books I've ever read was Nora Roberts' "Divine Evil". The dual nature of the villain was beautifully exposed.

When I think back on what villains made an impact on me in my formative story absorbing years, these are the ones that especially stand out: ignorance and racism in "To Kill a Mockingbird", Maleficent in "Sleeping Beauty", Hedley Lamarr in "Blazing Saddles", and greed and self in "The Good Earth". I've lost myself in those stories, and they wouldn't be nearly as good without a strong villain. Sherrill asked who your favorite villains are, so be sure to share. My question for you: what stories do you think would have been much better if the villain had been stronger?

No comments: