Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Best Comfort Movie of ALL time




http://www.bbcamericashop.com/default.asp?cpa=product&id=4199&ctl=81&cc=21247&tt=

I've never posted the link to buy ANYTHING on a blog (except my books ;)), so I hope you realize the significance of the link below Anne of Green Gable's picture. It's the link to the bbc america shop where you can purchase this miniseries. (But only buy the firsts two, the last movie was made like 10 years later and the actress who plays Anne's voice sounds weird and both she and Gilbert look so much older and it depressed me. I wanted them to stay the same forever. Plus it's just flat out not as good.)

If you don't know the story of Anne of Green Gables, originally a series of books by Lucy Maude Montgomery, I'll sum it up quickly--Orphan girl is farmed out to work as not much more than a slave, bumped from foster home to foster home and finally ends up on Prince Edward Island with an old brother and sister, neither of whom have ever married, and together they learn to be a family amongst much mayhem (or 19th century mayhem anyway.) And there's a great romance with the boy who used to pull her pigtails in school.

I love this miniseries for dozens of reasons, but mostly becuase it was the first time I ever saw a character portrayed who...well...how do I put this...was as crazy as I was? Not crazy, but eccentric maybe. Even years later, I finally convinced my hubby to watch it with me and he was like, 'dear god, she's so much like you, a little crazier but...' To which I replied, 'you should have met me when I was seventeen.'

Anne was my kindred spirit when I was a girl and still is today (though I think she does a better job of focusing on the bright side than I have of late). Everytime I'm sick or need a little mood pick-me-up (when Roo is visiting his dad and I get to missing him so horribly my guts hurt), I start up the Anne of Green Gables mini-series and immediately feel better.

There are other movies I like to power up when I'm feverish (Lord of the Rings trilogy, The Wedding Date because Dermot is HOT in that movie), but nothing is ever as good as Anne.

Sigh....I'm not here right now because I'm in Mexico...but when I get back, I'm feeling a marathon coming on.

Have a great Wednesday!

Anna J. Evans

http://annajevans.com

No comments: