Friday, June 22, 2007

So many movies, so little space!

Comfort books are easy. Anything by Maeve Binchy or Barbara Michaels. Guaranteed to make me forget my troubles.

Movies...a little harder. There's so many, you see. Depending on why I'm down, or what I'm in the mood for...

I love The Color Purple. When my Grandpa died almost twenty years ago, I was sitting on the couch, dazed and upset, and this was on. It took me about forty-five minutes to realize I'd gotten so caught up in the movie I'd actually stopped being upset. I was lost. It always effects me that way--a stunning film, really.

The Godfather is another one. I especially like the "Godfather Saga", which was a re-edited version Bravo (I think) aired at one point. They put it all in chronolical order, so it started with young Vito Corleone, and moved forward to the end. (I pretend Godfather III doesn't exist, btw.) But I can always watch this one, I adore it.

Lord of the Rings, of course! The entire trilogy. It never gets old, never.

The hubs and I both love Free Enterprise, which is a great movie if you're a bit of a geek like us. (I'm not linking to most of them because I'm assuming you've heard of the others.) Very funny, very sweet. And Bill Shatner plays himself. Awesome.

Die Hard. Speed. Any John Woo films starring Chow Yun-Fat, especially The Killer or Hard Boiled. The Dirty Dozen. Miller's Crossing. About A Boy (LOVE that movie!) Pride and Prejudice (the real BBC version, not that travesty with Kiera Knightley).

I love movies. There are so many movies I could name, but--oh wait, I forgot Bad Santa and The Ref, for Christmas comfort--that's a list of my biggies.

What makes a movie a comfort film for you? Is it a happy ending, or lots of action, or just something absorbing, or do you look for a really funny film?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love Ingmar Bergman films. They are incredible human and beautiful. I tend to like epic films that portray an era, like "Lawrence of Arabia" and "Doctor Zhivago". I also like silly/funny movies like "40 Year Old Virgin". I have started a movie review blog, "through a glass darkly", which you might want to check out! Cheers, tmasterv

Anonymous said...

There's got to be action and explosions. Or some seriously dry british style humour.

I think I've seen MIB a hundred times.