Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Where I go to make the magic happen...

Probably more appropriately titled, 'whenever and wherever I can steal the time/place to write'.

I have three kids. I didn't two years ago, but meeting and marrying the man of my dreams has certain privileges (my two full time stepdaughters) and challenges (my two full time stepdaughters). In addition to my own 3 year old, we've got a full house and all the writing challenges that implies.

So basically, my workspace is the kitchen table if I can keep 3 from running his cars along the top. Or the island in the kitchen if I can't. (The kitchen offers a good view of the living room and the kids' rooms so I can keep watch at all times because 8 and 12 require watching to make sure they don't do girlish injury to each other. One's a tomboy, one's a princess with a mean right hook, lol.).

Now, if the older ones are at school and 3 decides to nap, then I occasionally get to prop my feet up on the daybed in my guest room/office and create from there. Or if that's not happening because of the construction across the street, I might end up on the couch or by the fireplace in the winter months.

Or, if I'm lucky, in the shade by the pool in the summer months. My hubby hates it when I take work with me on vacation...unless I'm writing a sex scene and then he loves that I took work with me on vacation and tries to lure me into abandoned pool houses, *g*.

The best and worst part of my work is that I'm portable. And that I always think I can squeeze in a few words, even if the only safe place I can find to sit my laptop is on top of the kitchen cabinets while I watch the chaos run by beneath, lol.

Where do you work?
Anna J. Evans

2 comments:

Karen Erickson said...

Well I built a little desk from a kit I got at Target a few months ago for my laptop. Just to have MY OWN workspace (we have another computer eldest uses). Of course, eldest also happens to prefer my laptop so I'll come in to find him with his feet propped up on my desk foolin' around on myspace or what not.

I'll work where ever I have to. Thank goodness for the laptop!

Anna J. Evans said...

Hey K, wow, you're more tolerant than I am. My laptop is no man's land. If I ever see anyone on this sucker but me, I go mental. Probably because I don't back up my work often enough, lol. But yeah, this is 'mama's' computer. The girls have one in their room and my hubs has another in the living room. We're very 'media centered', lol.

Thanks for stopping by,

Anna