Monday, September 3, 2007

What I Wish I'd Known Then

So, here's our topic for the week. "What we've learned about writing, and what we wished we'd known when we started."

Well, you know they say hindsight is 20/20.

They're probably right. "They" sometimes are.

And, so, the million-dollar question.

What do I wish I'd known when I started? I'm happy to say my experiences--so far--have been quite positive. I haven't been caught up with publishers who seem to be going along fine but then start not answering author emails, not paying authors, etc. And I don't know that it was anything but blind stupid luck on my part.

Seriously. Well, all right. When I first started reading erotic romances (all on ebook, to begin with), I checked out several companies. I bought from several companies. And when I decided to try my hand at writing erotic romance, I looked at the publishers I'd been buying from. There were a couple that I hadn't been impressed with--either I felt their covers were cheesy or the books were riddled with errors. (With one book, by the fourth page I was so busy being distracted by errors that I completely stopped reading the story.)

I do wish I'd not spent as much time on shorter stories. Although they were excellent learning experiences, I sometimes feel I wasted time. I could have been focusing on much longer works.

Ah, well. Lesson learned, right?

Happy Labor Day to our American readers!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

(((((())))) Shorts have saved my skin. My MGP story was a short, and I am so glad of it now. Best wishes moving forward with your career Sherrill.

Think it's at all a good sign that my word verification is szaok ('is a ok)

Sherrill Quinn said...

Thanks, Michele. You're right, I know. I did learn a lot about the craft and writing tight by writing short. But sometimes I think that also makes it harder for me to write long. I have yet to publish anything over 40k. :(