Tuesday, September 4, 2007

What I wish I knew then

I look at writing as a continual learning process. It's hard to imagine what steps I could have just skipped over as how I write now has been built on what I've learned over the years. Here are some things I wish hadn't been such "duh" moments for me:


  • "Was" is not an evil word.

  • All things in moderation, especially "was".

  • "That", when writing, is as bad as "uh" when speaking.

  • You will *always* have to edit *something*.

  • Someone, somewhere, some time, will rip you a new one over what you wrote.

  • Someone, somewhere, some time, will adore what caused the other person to rip you a new one.

  • Life happens. Roll with it.

  • It helps to be disciplined, but if you aren't, you can still be dedicated.

  • Keep that first manuscript around to prove you can write a novel.

  • Do your best to finish for the day at a point where you know exactly what's going to happen next. Write yourself a note if you have to.


Write in good health!

*EDIT: Yes, I reviewed this post and read it out loud before I submitted it and yet, I still dropped a word. See, something else to add to the list: sometimes things will fall through the cracks despite your best efforts.

3 comments:

Sierra Dafoe said...

"It helps to be disciplined, but you aren't, you can still be dedicated."

LOL! Kelly, that is soooo going on my quote board!

-- Sierra

sierradafoe.com

Kelly Maher said...

Thanks, Sie :) I'm probably one of the most undisciplined writers I know, but I always remind myself I'm dedicated to writing.

Sierra Dafoe said...

Dang, Kelly, I copy'n'pasted that, and I didn't even catch the dropped 'if', either! My mind just automatically put it in there.

Yeah, I have a deep admiration for the people who can schedule, you know: "Nine-fifteen to eleven forty-five, write. 11:45-12:15, lunch." I have never been, and am never going to be, one of those people. But they impress the hell out of me!

-- Sierra