Thursday, September 20, 2007

Hey Mom, I wanna write smut!

Y'know, I'm just thinking about that this morning -- it's a strange career choice, being an erotic romance writer. It's incredibly long hours for not much pay, especially at the beginning. It's the sort of thing that's sometimes awkward to talk about in mixed company (I'm picturing my poor mom introducing me to her friends.... "And here's my daughter -- she writes sex scenes for a living." LOL!)

Poor mom. Writer was always on the agenda, although it was supposed to come after my brilliant film career, if I remember right. And the single largest hurdle I always faced to writing professionally was choosing a genre.

You see, I love it all. I am a major fantasy addict. I love sci-fi -- Heinlein, Niven, Philip K. Dick. Historical fantasy? Mary Stewart? Mary Renault? (why didn't my mother name me Mary, dang it!?) Morgan Llwewllyn? OH man! I am so all over that! And contemporary, humorous, quietly caustic stuff... Well, I finally got to go there a little with the Shifter Sisters. Swashbuckling adventures, high rolling seas, dashing pirates -- and dragons and mighty quests and magic swords (nope, noooo pun intended there!) The far-off, the fantastic, and the occasional foray into the domestic and familiar... There is, I have no hesitation in saying, only one genre of literature that allows me all that. Plus it's got sex, too -- how can you possibly beat that?

Hey Mom! I'm gonna be an erotic romance writer!

She'll recover, some day... LOL!

-- Sierra

www.sierradafoe.com -- new site redesign in the works!

No comments: