Wednesday, September 12, 2007

A Primer in Romance



So many books, so little time to blog, but here are some highlights from my road to romance reading and writing! My very first book with romantic elements was "Little Women" by Louisa May Alcott. I read it for the first time at age seven and then reread several times after. When I was a little shit, I didn't understand that Jo and Laurie wouldn't have been good together, however, and would mourn his marriage to Amy every time. (Dumb! Now I know better, lol. Who would want to be married to Laurie?)


"Anne of Green Gables", the entire series, still one of my favorite romances, though I stop after she and Gilbert get together because Anne gets kind of bitchy in the later books. Probably all the children...says the woman with three, lol!


Kelly totally stole this one from me yesterday (biznatch!!!, lol), but I have to mention it anyway. Another one of my early favorites. Probably too early. My mom let me read anything I could get my hands on as long as it was in the children's section or considered a 'classic' or 'award winning' books. I'd read a LOT of interesting things by the time I was ten.



What she wouldn't let me read, however, were HER romances. But I read them anyway :). I would sneak them out from the pile beneath her bed and hide them in my room until I'd finished. I read "Knight in Shining Armor" when I was probably....eleven? I still think it is one of the BEST romances ever. (Haven't read it in a while, but still...it just rocks, the heroine goes back in time, lots of adventure, a very compelling read!) My early exposure to 1980's romance is probably responsible for my taste for writing erotic romance. I mean, once you've grown a taste for ripped bodices, you never go back right? Lol.

Happy Wednesday!

Anna J. Evans

http://annajevans.com

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm trying to remember what my first romance was. Jane Eyre I think. I read a few of them when I was younger, but I didn't really get hooked until I was in my early twenties. Now I can't get enough.

I always loved the Anne - Gilbert relationship. :)

Anna J. Evans said...

Hey Christine, thanks for stopping by. Jane Eyre is a great one too! I can't believe I forgot that one!

And yeah, Anne and Gilbert are just the best.

Sigh...

anna j evans

Sherrill Quinn said...

I love Jude Deveraux's historicals--I think I have them all, and Knight in Shining Armor is at the top of the heap! :)

Julia Phillips Smith said...

Does it say a lot about me that I was very attracted to Prince Rilian from the Narnia series, 'The Silver Chair'? He was a captive of the Green Lady, had to be tied up to the silver chair every night when he was free of his enchantment, only to realize no one believed him once he was sane. My intro to my lifelong attraction to the tormented hero, by age 8 or 9. Hell, let's be honest - I can't wait for Walden Films to make the film version in the next few years!

I didn't read any romance until my very late 20's, so my first one was 'Dark Champion' by Jo Beverly. Recommended to me by my cousin, who has the same exquisite taste for tortured heroes that I do. This was a medieval and it was a perfect intro to the world of romance.

Kate Willoughby said...

I cried TWICE when reading A Knight in Shining Armor. But my first romance was Sweet Savage Love by Rosemary Rogers. Yep, I love a good bodice ripper even today. Even wrote one. Too bad they're dissed these days.

Jessica said...

Okay...I am going to stop hiding my books under my bed! And yeah...I love the late seventies, eighties romances...alpha males, corsets, and the whole lot of them.