Monday, September 17, 2007

What I Do To Pay The Bills

I know I've talked about this before and folks are probably getting tired of hearing me piss and moan about it. LOL But here goes...

For over 20 years I've been in the Human Resources field in one aspect or another. I started out as a receptionist for a personnel recruiting firm, worked my way up to Office Manager/Interviewer. From there I went to a large home health care company where I was recruited nursing and non-nursing staff, and ended my tenure there as a generalist providing overall HR support to two of their divisions. Then I went on to a cable company as Risk Administrator, where I handled Workers' Compensation, General Liability and Vehicle Liability and leaves of absences for employees. In 2000 I decided I'd had enough of Ohio and moved to Arizona, where after 3 weeks of being unemployed I took a job with a credit union as their benefits person. After a year and a half I was promoted to Assistant Vice President. When I left there after 5 years, I had been Vice President of Human Resources for 3 1/2 years.

Then I took 11 months off and wrote, wrote, wrote. At the end of July 2006 I had to go back to work. I started with my current company as a part-time HR Assistant and, in December, went full-time as their HR Administrator. I'm back to being a generalist, doing just about everything that needs to be done that's personnel related.

Beginning today, I'm cutting back my hours to 30 hours a week, and I hope those extra 10 hours will be put to productive use. My dream is to be able to support myself with my writing--it seems there aren't a lot of authors who can do that. But my needs are simple LOL. I'd be willing to live on popcorn and green beans if I had to...

No comments: