Monday, September 24, 2007

When I Knew

People often ask "When did you know you wanted to be a writer?"

I don't know that I can actually pinpoint a specific time or place. My first experience as a writer was in sixth grade. Our teacher would give us an opening line and have us write a short story. Most of mine were fantastical and I seem to remember they ended something like "But it was only a dream." LOL I've improved since then, thankfully.

I really didn't do any more fiction writing until around 1998. And that was partly because someone told me I couldn't. Oh, not me specifically, but people in my profession. So I set out to prove her wrong.

And I did. But it wasn't until about 2005 that I seriously started thinking about doing this for a living. Being a writer, I mean. And I'm on my way. Nowhere near being able to support myself yet, but that'll come. I hope.

2 comments:

Anna J. Evans said...

Nice Sherrill, hopes the supporting part comes soon.

anna

Sherrill Quinn said...

Thanks, hon. :)