Wednesday, August 1, 2007

'Til Death do you part?



As writers and readers of romance, we're very familiar with 'happily ever after'. Many times, that means a marriage and a little bundle of joy on the way for our hero and heroine, even in the edgier, paranormal and fantasy story lines that have become so popular in the past several years. Hell, I've got two stories that end with a couple married and knocked up, one couple with their second child on the way (they have a baby they're trying to rescue in the book, "Decking the Hollisters" is the one...if you want to check it out ;)).

But is this realistic HEA in these times of high divorce rates? I mean, simply slipping a ring on each other's fingers and saying 'I do' does not necessarily mean the hero and heroine will be togetha forevah. Having children together doesn't solidify anything either as anyone who's been a single parent knows.

For my own part, I don't *need* a wedding to feel the end of the story is solid and hopeful for the future, but I have to confess I do enjoy seeing my characters make that kind of commitment, whether it's realistic or not. But then, when have romance novels ever been accused of being too realistic :).

Thoughts?

Happy Wednesday,
Anna J. Evans

http://annajevans.com

No comments: