Wednesday, August 22, 2007

The graveyard of shattered dreams...


Sometimes that's how I view my WIP/unplaced file--a sad, scary place where creative things have gone to die, peppered with the ruins of once great ideas. They're still beautiful in their partially formed state but just...not ready to walk among the living. (Poetical this morning ain't I?)

Some of the manuscripts in there are full stories that need such an overhaul of an edit that I haven't gained the strength to attack them. Some are partials that So-and-so or Whoeveritwas didn't request a full for, and were thereafter abandoned in hopes of finally figuring out exactly what will light Editor X's fire. Others are flashes of great things, with catchy titles and super fantastic hooks that....I haven't had the time to flesh out.

There are probably nearly fifty such documents in my WIP file. Maybe one third of them are PTWD (Projects that won't die). Somehow, no matter how long it takes, they'll find a way to force my attention upon them, compel me to give them the work they need to become full fledged stories. One of those stories is presently my WIP. It was a partial I completed a year ago and let sit for 10 months before beginning the full. Now that little 15k partial is a 40k WIP, on it's way to an ending and a submission to my new editor at Samhain (who liked the partial :)).

So there you go, never say die little projects. Never. Say. Die.

Anna J. Evans Who. Likes. Periods. Today.

3 comments:

Sierra Dafoe said...

Gads, Anna! Don't encourage them!!! LOL! I so know exactly what you mean. :-)

-- Sie

Montgomery Sword-Author said...

Now THAT is one fantastically inspiring pic!
I think the idea of the put-aside WIP file is a great one; while those little babies are hanging fire in the hanging file, their ideas are also percolating--somewhere--in the depths of your subconscious. Sooner or later something excellent will appear from them..{or so we can hope!}

Sierra Dafoe said...

I agree, Montgomery -- I find sometimes it's simply that a story's not ready to be written yet. Sometimes they just need to gestate a little longer!

-- Sierra