Monday, August 20, 2007

Projects That Won't Die

I come from a long line of folks who start a project, get part-way through and lose interest, and move on to something else. So it's definitely in my nature, and I fight it constantly. One way I've found that seems to work is that I don't pick a project that's going to last a long time--like more than a couple of months.

That may be why I'm so comfortable with writing novellas instead of longer works--I can write the first draft of a novella (say, up to 30,000 words) in about a month, give or take a few days and depending on how crazy my day job is. So I get it done and move on to the next short work.

Except for...

Beyond the Beast. This is a story that's been churning in my head for several years. It first took shape as a short story (basically just a couple of scenes), and then I decided to make it longer. Last October I finished it, and submitted it to several agents. I have one interested, but she suggested several changes. So I'm working on it again.

It just won't go away. Which, I suppose, is a good thing. :)

4 comments:

Colleen Love said...

Hi Sherrill!
I have to agree with you on the whole project thing. So many good intentions and plans, something interupts and its over... Well, except for writing. It just wont go away. Sometimes it feels like Ive become a blissful slave to it and I cant stop. I guess that would be an addiction, wouldnt it?

I have a novel Ive completed. It was around 85k. Now its ovr 87k. It was rejected over and over, not because the premise wasnt any good, but, later I discovered through LSB what was wrong with it. I rewrote it as an erotic and fixed the broken parts. I hated it as an erotic. So, now, Ive rewritten it as a straight romance, but, in the rewrite this time, I found the characters too shallow, in my opinion. So, Im polishing it and filling up the characters... Im done this time... I swear... At least thats what I keep telling myself! Three times Ive revised this book. I still absolutely love it too. Now I have an editor who wants it and Im pleased all the way around. I guess persistance pays. I hope it does anyway. Ive got a line forming of books to be written that make my head hurt. : ) But its fun, thats what keeps me coming back I think, and the challenge of getting points across as creatively ane well written as possible.

I just love visiting your blog. It helps inspire me. Thank you for that! : )

Colleen

Anonymous said...

Most of my ideas I have had for years. It seems as soon as I start one the other want a little attention too. It's just a matter of reaching in there and picking out which one is solid enough to work on next.

Sherrill Quinn said...

Colleen, thanks for stopping by! I'm glad you're still in love with your book--I've about had it with mine! LOL And I'm glad I'm able to help inspire you. :) I appreciate you letting me know that.

Sherrill Quinn said...

Michelle, I know what you mean. Sometimes it's a struggle getting through one writing project because there's another one that's shouting at you to get your attention! Good advice you've given--pick the one that's the most solid (which may *not* be the one talking to you the loudest, eh?).