Monday, August 6, 2007

How Do You Do It?

One of the questions writers are asked frequently is "What's your writing process?" or words to that effect. "What sort of rituals do you go through to get yourself in the groove?" is another way it's been asked.

My answer may be disappointing. I don't have rituals. This is a job to me--albeit one that doesn't offer much monetary support. Yet. But just as I don't have any rituals to get me in the groove for my day job in Human Resources (other than my almost daily whining of "I don't wanna!" LOL), I don't have any rituals to get me in the groove for my writing job.

I just park my butt on the sofa, put my laptop on my lap, and jump in. I usually re-read a few pages where I've left off so I can get back into the scene.

But that's it. No lit candles, no specific music, no mantra chanting...

Disappointed?

7 comments:

Susan said...

Can you mentally block out everything else in the room? I've found that I can. I can sit in the living room with the TV on, kids playing, and teenager headbanging in the next room and still read a book..lol I think that's the multitasking mind of a mother. Still got that ear open for crashes and screams.

Back to the topic..LOL Once you stop writing do you come back to it later and reread it and wonder what was you thinking when you wrote that?

Sherrill Quinn said...

I usually can, Susan. And, so far (knock on wood), I haven't had to go back and totally scrap things I've written. I've had to go in and fill in blanks and do some fine-tuning, but so far it's all been salvageable. :)

Lil said...

"This is a job to me--albeit one that doesn't offer much monetary support. Yet."

Hmm, Sherrill, kinda like editing, lol!

Lil

Sherrill Quinn said...

LOL, Lil. Yep, seems that something that gives so many people hours of enjoyment should pay better...

Susan said...

Oh, but I love y'all so much for the reading pleasures...:)

Sherrill Quinn said...

Aw, thank you so much, Susan!! And we appreciate our readers just as much! :)

Sierra Dafoe said...

LOL, Lil! :p