Friday, April 13, 2007

Triskiadekaphobia

It's Friday the 13th. Yay!

I love Friday the 13th, although I must admit this is a rather disappointing one. I mean, it's April. There is absolutely nothing spooky about April. At all. The moon is waning, not full. We're (finally!) having some lovely, spring-like weather here in the middle of nowhere--I mean, the beautiful, rural Southwest of England.

There are little lambs everywhere. There is nothing spooky about little lambs.

Although, having said that, an idea forms. An erotic horror tale set in a rural area, where the sheep go crazy at lambing time and...yeah, I don't really have much more than that (but give me time!) I did read a horror novel involving crazy cannibal goats a couple of months ago, called "The Farm" by Scott Nicholson. Not bad. I digress.

So. I love the number 13, and I love Friday the 13th (although I am not a particular fan of the films.)

Which is odd, because I am a terribly superstitious. I knock on wood all the time. I cross my fingers. I throw salt over my left shoulder when I spill it. I count magpies and bad things (they happen in threes, you know.) I never walk with one shoe on and one shoe off.

I also have lots of my own superstitions. Don't talk too much about a project before it gets off the ground or you'll jinx it. Don't start a new project during a waning moon or it won't be successful. Don't start a project on a Monday or it won't be successful.

And a slew of others far too embarrassing to discuss.

Are you superstitious? What are yours?

Happy Friday the 13th!

5 comments:

Sherrill Quinn said...

I don't really have a lot of superstitions, December. Although I have been known to cross my fingers and knock on wood...

Anonymous said...

I'm really not very.

I figure most have some grounding in common sense. Like, it's bad luck to open an umbrella indoors. Yeah, because it's likely to knock something over.

Anna J. Evans said...

I'm also superstitious about the 'don't talk about a project until its off the ground'. I feel like my Muse gets mad at me for being too chatty, lol, and then I'll never finish.

Anna

Stacia said...

Oh, Sherrill, I think you're just being coy. Either that or you're one of those lucky people who actually has confidence in themselves and what they do...


I never could figure that one out, Seeley. But I don't do it, just in case. :-)

Thanks, Anna! I'm glad I'm not the only superstitious one! I feel a little like a caveman here, frightened of eclipses and stuff!

Unknown said...

I'll knock on wood, but most of the other's I'll reject in defiance of superstitions. It's funny how depending on who you've grown up with, you pick up certain ones. I've always wondered what superstitions come from what cultures. Like, i got the knock on wood one, but I hadn't heard of the salt one until I came down to a Southern College. Do you think there's a corelation?