Friday, April 6, 2007

Bad jobs?

Oh, yeah.

I've done some awful things, let me tell you. Some really fun things--working at a movie theatre when you're a teenager who loves movies is still, in my opinion, one of the best jobs ever--but boy, it's all kind of been downhill from there.

The worst one, though? Aside from waitressing, which is just a terrible job, no matter where, or how you look at it?

I worked the phones for a large credit card bank--one of the largest, in fact. It was awful. It wasn't the work that was so terrible. That, like any work when you're dealing with the public, ran the gamut from absolutely miserable to tons of fun. I remember a few callers who I just hit it off with immediately, people who I literally ended up spending half and hour or an hour chatting with. Ever get that? And suddenly you're not working at all, you're just having a good time and helping a friend with a problem they might be having, and (let's face it) doing whatever you can do to help your friend out, including sneakily crediting them back finance charges or giving them a rate you're not supposed to offer.

But the company I worked for? Awful. And it was even worse because they were one of these companies always talking about how great they are, how well they treat their employees.

But it's a lie. They don't treat you well, they do things like buy you a lousy pizza to get you to work through lunch. And I don't mean lousy like an adverb, I mean it like an adjective--it was a greasy, cheap pizza. No, they didn't have to buy it for us, but I'd rather be paid overtime than given pizza, you know?

It was just a sea of management behaving unprofessionally, while reminding us at every minute how professional we had to be. Have you ever tried to deal with a customer issue while your managers play baseball behind your head? It's not fun. Or trying to hold your tongue while your managers make racist comments when they think nobody can ehar them? Or while they inform you that a coworker has been fired and why? Or call the doctor you took a day off to go see, to find out why you were there (I am not making that up, I got an outraged phone call from my doctor about that one)?

I totally should have sued.

See, I think any work, even the most dull or physically demanding, can be made tolerable by a good working environment. The easiest job can be made intolerable.

The bank? Intolerable. I will never work in that sort of world again.

Gods I love writing! Even when it's going terribly it's the best job in the world!

4 comments:

Sherrill Quinn said...

I hear ya, girlfriend. In my day job, I'm the one always harping at people to "stop saying stuff like that". Why can't people just act like adults and pay attention to their mothers? Because I'm sure just about every mother in the world has said at one time or another, "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all."

Sierra Dafoe said...

Ya know what, December? I think that's been the single best thing about this week -- being reminded exactly how great, even with the long hours and the occasional bouts of writer's block and the yanking of hair trying to get the durn thing right, writing really is!

-- Sie

sierradafoe.com

Stacia said...

Thanks, ladies! Sorry I didn't get back here last night, guess who's got a cold? Me! Yay.

Lol, Sherrill, we should get t-shirts that say, "Listen to your mother" printed on them!

Anna J. Evans said...

Sorry about the cold D. That's stinky!

I hear you about the unprofessional stuff. That was the biggest shock for me when I got out in the 'real world'--that my bosses, the other grown ups, weren't doing their very best job to earn their little gold star on the board every day. What a mind blowing thing that was for me! Even more so after I realized those dweebs were making way more money than a lot of the professional acting people.

Blechk!

Glad you left the bank,

anna