Friday, March 30, 2007

There is no "I" in "team"; there is one "I" in "Teamie".

Which means absolutely nothing. I just thought it was kind of funny.

So the thing about teamwork (or teamiework) is that you need other people around to do it with you. To be part of your team.

I've never been very good at that. I'm not much of a team player, and actually, I've often wondered if most writers really are. I mean, our work requires that we spend large periods of time by ourselves. Even writing with someone--as when I write with the fabby Anna J. Evans, and writing with her is an absolute blast--you're still owrking alone. I don't know any writing team who looks over each others' shoulders as they write, the way we did when we got to go to the computer lab at school. (Am I dating myself there? The "lab" with, like, three Apple computers, and you could do word problems on them and that was it? And you had to partner up for your ten minutes on the computer?)

Now we promo as a team, me, Anna, Sherrill, Kelly, and Sierra. And I totally feel like the weakest link in the chain, the second stringer in the team, because this promo stuff doesn't come as easily to me as it seems to to them.

But that's the other thing about being part of a team, and that's what makes teamwork work. You care about the people in your team. You don't want to let them down. You don't want to make other people suffer because you're lazy or not in the mood or busy or whatever.

And last night I was part of a team, too, because I'm on my daughter's school's PTA, and we did a Ladies' Night, with cocktails and shopping and stuff, which was fun. But I worked my butt off and today my legs hurt from all the running around. And today my husband and I went to Bath and wandered all over the place there. So busy busy busy me...

Sometimes, no matter how much of a loner we may be, it feels good to be part of a team!

3 comments:

Sierra Dafoe said...

Bah! There are no weakest links. There's just different strengths, that's all :)

I agree, writing really is a solitary activity. I have a hard time imagining a writer who does not, at least occasionally, crave solitude. That's a generalization, of course (I'm sure there's a few) but I suspect most of us enjoy our time alone. Except when it gets to be too much... And that's when being part of a group is really wonderful!

Anna J. Evans said...

Writing is solitary and I love that about it. I get enough togetherness at home with my damned kids who HAVE BEEN ON SPRING BREAK FOR TOO LONG!!!!

Sorry I didn't respond to your post sooner. I love it when you mention me and how much you love writing with me, lol.

And you're totally not the weakest link. Sierra's right, we each have different strengths.

Caffey said...

As a reader, I love when I have the chance to chat with you on the loop and so appreciate you all always taking your time to do that. I want to be at everyone of them but I can't but when I am, its really a great time! And I know it takes time away from your writing so know its very appreciated!
Too I'm glad to be a part of it here by visiting your blog! And keep writing, love ya!