Friday, March 16, 2007

New Beginnings

(Yes, if you haven't figured it out yet--which of course you have, you clever little thing--this week's topic is New Beginnings. We Deliciously Naughty Writers plan to express our opinions on one topic each week, with each of us chiming in on a different day. We thought that might help you to get to know us all better, and thought it would help us do the same! (If there's a topic you'd like to see discussed, please shoot me an email--you can contact me through my blogger profile or my website.)

So here at Deliciously Naughty--or should we say, "The DN" for short? That sounds kinda cool, huh?--it's time to discuss New Beginnings.

Can you tell I'm having a hard time coming up with something to say about new beginnings? Silly, really, considering it seems such an easy topic, especially when spring is finally starting to peek its pinky-gold head over the hills here in the southwest of England. Daffodils are blooming, the trees are getting that greenish cast they get just before the leaves return, the lambs are being born and we get to see them every morning as we drive past the many farms...the temperature has risen above 5C (about 42F) which means the English are outside in t-shirts.

So spring is the time of new beginnngs, definitely. I should be able to think of a million different variations on the theme. Spring is here. We've started Deliciously Naughty Writers, which is so exciting, and I get to do more fun stuff with Sherrill, Anna, kelly, and Sierra. I've got a couple of new projects I'm working on which is even more exciting!

Okay, here we go, I've got something. Something else that seems to be experiencing a New Beginning, a bit of a renaissance.

The turned-up collar on guys.

What is up with that? I can't decide if I like it or not.

On the one hand, it reminds me of my beloved '80s. The '80s were so cool, people. So much better than the '90s. The music was better (yes it was! I dare you to put stuff like "Jenny(867-5309)" or "And We Danced" against, say, C+C Music Factory of the New Kids on the Block. Hey, Marky Mark, doesn't matter how many Oscars you get nominated for, or how many big prosthetic peenies" you have attached (and sorry, ladies--no, that's not a picture of said big peenie, I hunted for half an hour online and couldn't find a picture. So go watch the movie [Boogie Nights] because it's an excellent film anyway), we all still remember that "Good Vibrations" video and you doing that horrible lip-licking thing with the bandanna tied around your head, and your (admittedly fantastic) chest all exposed.

We remember. Oh, yes.

Just like we remember when the collar-up guys were big old preppies with feathered hair.

So what do you think, ladies? Do we like the collar-up man? Happy about spring (is it spring yet where you are?) Any new spring beginnings for you? Thoughts on Marky Mark or the Boogie Nights peen?
Share, share, share!

7 comments:

Sherrill Quinn said...

No-no-NO! No collars up. Please. Yes, the music was great, but I really don't want to see a return of the Sonny Crockett look. It's too preppy, and I thought preppy was dead.

And it's not spring where I am. I think we skipped spring and went straight to summer. It's been in the upper 80s and is supposed to be in the low 90s today and tomorrow. What is up with that?!?

Stacia said...

I've seen them, though, Sherrill. The collars-up guys...I even saw a guy with an upturned collar and sockless loafers and a narrow leather belt in his jean beltloops...but this is a rather fashion-backward part of the country and I think he's been dressing like that since the 80s.

Anna J. Evans said...

We're having spring-ish weather and it's awesome! I haven't seen any turned up collars, but then I live in Arkansas, the most fashion backward place in the world (possibly excluding Mississippi). So we'll probably have people dressing like that in 5-7 years. I'm just now seeing things here that were cool when I lived in NYC...five years ago!

Anna

Camille Alexa said...

Hey, December!

Came to check out your new (auxiliary) digs. Cool place you've got here! Good luck to all y'all.

Camille Alexa said...

p.s.

sure-those dudes can wear their collars up--makes the preps easier for me to spot and stay away from.

Stacia said...

Wow, so I could take all the stuff that I loved but is now out of fashion, Anna, and go live in Arkansas, and wear it again? COOL!


Hey lbl! Thanks for coming over! Lol true--it does make them easily identifiable!

Sierra Dafoe said...

Y'know, I always thought that was the one tactical error they made in the movie. Not showing it was so effectively done all the way through, and it's like actually seeing the monster, ya know? The reality is never quite as horrifying (or amazing) as you imagination. But yeah, ASTOUNDING movie!

And Rock Star. Let's not forget him in Rock Star. Mmmmm...