Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Anyone can write a romance...

If anyone could write a romance, and have it be easy, I'd have a lot more hair ;) Last night, registrations opened for 2007's National Novel Writing Month. I highly recommend anyone who thinks they can write a romance to take up the challenge. I've participated three or four times (the potential fourth time is a bit fuzzy), and I've only "won" once. I recently sold that winner to Ellora's Cave...after *much* revision. It takes a lot of discipline to write a 50,000 word novel that, not only is fairly coherent, but can be whipped into the shape of a publishable novel.

I wish anyone who undertakes this the best of luck. It's a very draining experience, but it helps writers define what is important in their lives and prioritize those items. This year I'm not planning on participating, mainly because I've already planned what I'll be writing in November. It's a short story, well under the 50K required to win. Also because I've already prioritized my current responsibilities and projects, and a short story is all I have time to write.

I'll conclude this with the best piece of advice I've ever heard. As I've heard it from numerous people, I couldn't begin to cite it: "Write what you love." If you don't love romance, please don't waste your time trying to write one. Figure out what you do love, and spend your time writing that.

No comments: